• COVID-19 has not been detected in drinking water.
• Disinfectants, like chlorine, used to treat drinking water and sewage inactivate COVID-19.
• Enveloped viruses, like COVID-19, are more susceptible to disinfection and less stable in the environment.
• COVID-19 is a respiratory virus. No oral-fecal transmission is documented to date. The virus has been frequently identified in stool but only one study to date cultured the virus to determine viability.
• Water utilities are working to ensure continuity of operations and encourage our region to keep on hand washing.
• Water workers are protected by standard safety practices and personal protective equipment (PPE).
For more information, visit: Water Transmission and COVID-19: Drinking Water, Recreational Water and Wastewater: What You Need to Know.