Note: As part of Arlington’s Fiscal Year 2022 budget, the County Board voted to ensure that sufficient revenues are recovered through water and wastewater utility rates and that rate and fee structures are aligned with the County’s financial objectives and the community’s values.
Approval of changes in rates and the rate structures followed an extensive study, with broad public engagement, that began in 2019 and concluded in 2021.
Water, Sewer and Refuse Rates
Effective July 1, 2021 – Dec. 31, 2021
- Water Rate: $4.91 per 1,000 gallons of metered water consumption.
- Sewer Rate: $9.44 per 1,000 gallons of metered water consumption.
- Refuse Rate (residential accounts only): $318.61 annually, billed quarterly and prorated on a daily basis.
- The rate for activating new water service accounts or reactivation of service due to repair or delinquency is $25.
- Single-family and duplex homes are billed quarterly for water, sewer, and trash and recycling services.
- Water and sewer charges are based on water consumption as determined by a meter reading. You must keep the water meter free of obstruction by cars, landscaping or other objects.
- Your bill may also include charges for service requests such as additional carts, special pickup or leaf mulch/wood chip delivery.
Apartments and Commercial
- Apartments and commercial businesses are billed monthly for water and sewer services.
- Water and sewer charges are based on water consumption as determined by a monthly meter reading. Only County staff is authorized to enter meter vaults.
Pre-Jan. 1, 2022 Rate Structure
Pre-Jan. 1, 2022 rates for water and sewer services are based directly on the number of gallons of water used.
Water usage is measured by a water meter installed adjacent to each residence or business. Sanitary sewer services are charged based on the amount of water used as determined by the water meter readings.
If a residential family uses 15,000 gallons of water in a quarter (which is typical), they would be charged for 15,000 gallons at the current water rate plus 15,000 gallons at the current sewer rate. These charges are detailed on the billing statement.